Alyn Smith MP

Health Factsheet

Alyn Smith MP: Health Factsheet

If your condition is serious or life-threatening you should go to the Emergency Department at Forth Valley Royal Hospital or dial 999.

The NHS 24 service is there 24 hours a day to make sure that urgent medical advice and care is always available to you without the need to go to A&E. For non-emergency medical advice you can call NHS 24 on 111.

You should call NHS 24 if:

  • you think you need to go to A&E but it’s not life threatening
  • you are too ill to wait for your GP practice to open

You can also contact your GP practice or local pharmacy as normal during opening hours.

NHS 24 has an online service available 24 hours 7 days a week that can provide information and advice on a wide variety of health issues. NHS Inform provides:

  • An updated and expanded Health A-Z
  • Answers to common health questions
  • Links to local health and support information across Scotland

If you need help to find a local health service  you can use the drop down menu to select which service you require –

If you have moved to the area or are having difficulty registering with a GP please email National Services Scotland (Practitioner Services Division) or call 0345 300 1024.

Mental Health

Mental Health services are all free on the NHS however in many cases you will need to be referred by a GP or another specialist. Some of the services outlined below may also allow you to self-refer.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health is also available.

  • Contact NHS24 (111) and ask to speak to a Mental Health Advisor
  • Contact your local GP
  • Contact Childline Scotland (0800 11 11) or The Samaritans (116 123)
  • Attend your nearest Emergency Department

Sexual Health Clinic

Clinics provide:

  • Contraception, including emergency contraception and condoms
  • Longer lasting contraception, ie. implants and coils
  • Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV
  • Safer sex advice, general advice and support

It is important to note that emergency contraception is also available from community pharmacies. Testing for sexually transmitted infections and contraception can also be carried out by your GP.